Pennyroyal with the scientific name of Mentha pulegium is from the Lamiaceae family and has the other names of Mosquito and vegetable pudding either. A plant of the Mentha genus and flowers lips family and its crushed mint leaves have the scent.
Known consumptions of them are used in cooking , baking, and traditional medicine as Sedatives and also used in abortion. Its essential oil is used in the perfume industry and it has the toxic substance of Pulegon.
Cooking and medical applications
It is used in ancient Greece and ancient Rome and the Greeks used it to flavor wine. In the Romans book of Cooking this plant, along with the oregano and lovage and coriander were used in many recipes. Today it has little use in cooking. Although oregano oil is very toxic, but consumption of it in fresh and dry models are common. Early settlers in America used the dried powder to repel insects. In the history of the Royal Society of London have noted that this association proposed Pennyroyal to kill the rattlesnake.
Taking off this drug is more for sedation , Relieve indigestion, a lubricant menstruation and sometimes was to expedite abortion. One of its properties is also to reduces bloating. An infusion of leaves and flowers of it is effective on flu and abdominal pain.
Pennyroyal essential oil is very thick and even it is in small amounts it is toxic.
Reports of various causes of death in patients who have used essential oil of Pennyroyal . America’s Congress has requested that it be prohibited for pregnant women.
Pennyroyal is of the mint family and the main components of the plant are essential menthol oil.
In addition, the contents of this herb are tannin ,resin, sugar, and vitamins.
Pennyroyal plant grows in the hot season, but it can tolerate light shade.
This plant grows well in moist soils that rich in organic matter such as foliar fertilizer.
- Tail Pennyroyal
- Pennyroyal leaves and flowers and stems that are alternatives to many antibiotics. It is also carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic and stimulant as well.
- People are used from the infusion of this plant for treatment of colds, catarrh, headaches, digestive problems, low mild fever, sore throat relief and improved abdominal bloating, nausea, menstrual pain and insomnia.
- Pennyroyal also knew as stimulates the production of bile.
- This plant is good Sedative either.
- Pennyroyal extract has Soothing Pain properties.
- Pennyroyal extract is in contrast to the herpes virus, influenza virus, Newcastle disease and other viruses is active.
The benefits of Pennyroyal
Pennyroyal is useful to deal with the following conditions:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Colds, flu, asthma
- A cough and whooping cough
- Problems and digestive disorders so that it prevents from the heartburn and it is useful for digestion and relieve hiccups.
- According to the antimicrobial properties of extracts and essential oils of Pennyroyal, it can be use instead of antibiotics.
Pennyroyal tail achieved from the combination of a glass of boiling water with 2 grams of dried Pennyroyal leaves that are tail from 5-10 minutes and then make it clear. This tail can be usually used from 2-3 times in a day and it doesn’t have any limitation during the treatment.